If you’re a car owner or you wish to get a driving license but you don’t know how to apply for a driving license in Nigeria, this article is exceptionally for you as we’ve carefully computed a step by step guide for you on how to successfully apply and obtain your driving license without stress.
From statistics, how to apply for a driving license in Nigeria, how to apply for an international driving license in Nigeria, how much it cost to apply for a driving license, how to renew a driving license, and more are amongst the most sought after information by a lot of car owners in Nigeria in many online forums like Nairaland, Facebook, Instagram.
This article covers a comprehensive step by step guide on:
- What is a drivers License
- The benefits of having a driving license in Nigeria
- How to apply for a driving license in Nigeria
- How much does It cost to apply for a driving license in Nigeria?
- How much driving license renewal costs in Nigeria.
- The requirements for obtaining a driving license in Nigeria
- Driving license application form
- How to apply for an international driving license in Nigeria, etc
WHAT IS A DRIVERS LICENSE
Firstly, a driver’s license is an official document or legal authorization which certifies individuals to possess and operate a vehicle or vehicles such as motorcycles, cars, trailers, etc in Nigeria.
A driving license is an essential document in Nigeria as it’s one of the required documents used for formal identification in Nigeria.
BENEFITS OF HAVING A DRIVING LICENSE IN NIGERIA
Having a driving license in Nigeria comes with lot’s of benefits which includes:
It allows you to operate a vehicle in any part of Nigeria:
With a driving license, you can own and drive any vehicle in any part of the country without fear of security operatives
It is required for formal identification in Nigeria:
A driving license is mostly required when the need for formal identification arises.
Oftentimes, when you want to register or apply for an opportunity online or offline, a driving license is always requested to be uploaded as proof of identification
A Nigerian driver’s license can be used in any part of the world:
This is one of the advantages of obtaining a Nigerian driver’s license as it’s not only recognized in Nigeria but in any part of the world.
Therefore, you can present the driver’s license in any country of the world and you would be duly authorized to operate your vehicle.
It also exposes you to a lot of opportunities:
A driver’s license is a necessary document you must possess before you’re eligible to apply for some job opportunities.
Having A driver’s license, therefore, gives you an edge above others when such opportunities arise.
It saves you harassment from security operatives in the country:
You can comfortably operate your vehicle across the country without the fear of The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) or any other road safety organization in the country.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A DRIVING LICENSE IN NIGERIA
A Nigerian driving license could be applied both offline and online so far as you meet the necessary requirements.
Getting a driver’s license in the country involves the following processes:
1. Attend any of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Accredited Driving School:
You must of course learn how to drive a car before buying one.
It’s always advised you proceed to learn how to drive a car in any of the FRSC certified driving schools in any part of the country.
After you must have learned how to drive and confirmed worthy to play the road, a driving license certificate would be issued to you.
2.Obtain the Federal Road Safety Corps Learner’s Permit
After enrolling in the driving school, you’re required to obtain a learner’s permit which authorizes you to learn how to drive in any of the authorized driving schools.
3.Take The Driving Test Which Would Be Supervised By The Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO)
Taking the driving test is the next step after you must have learned how to drive.
The test would have the Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) in attendance after which a certificate of proficiency would be issued to you after you must have passed the test.
4.Eye Test Certification
After you have attended the FRSC certified driving school and passes the driving test, the next step is to undergo an eye test in any of the certified FRSC test clinics.
After the test and you’re deemed fit, an eye test certificate would be given to you.
5.Proceed to Make Payment For the Driver’s License
This is the last stage for applying for a driving license in Nigeria.
At this juncture, you’re to proceed to the bank to make payment for the driving license after which you submit the bank teller to the FRCS offline office.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO GET A DRIVING LICENSE IN NIGERIA
How much it costs to obtain a driver’s license in Nigeria is the big question on the lips of people who wish to apply for a driver’s license.
Below is a detailed breakdown of how much it costs to get a driver’s license in Nigeria:
- Driving School Certificate: N8,000
- Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) test Certificate : N1,000
- Eye Test Certificate: N500
- Tax: N1500
NOTE: The cost ofa driving license in Nigeria is N10,500 for a period of 5 years
While the cost of a driver’s license for a period of 3 years is N6,500
HOW TO APPLY FOR A DRIVING LICENSE ONLINE
A driving license could be applied online or offline but this section emphasizes how to apply for the license online.
Below is simply the processes of the driving license application:
- Log on to nigeriadriverslicence.org
- Click on the Driving License Application , a drop-down list will show
- up. Choose New Driver’s License
- Then, input your driving test certificate number in the box an hit the Validate button
- Once your number is successfully validated, complete online application form before you.
- Proceed to initiate the payment of application fees online and print out an Acknowledgement slip
- The next step is to look for a nearby Driving License offline Office and complete your biometric data capturing form.
Then, a temporary driving license would be given to you while you wait for the original License which usually takes about 2 months to be ready.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLYING FOR A DRIVING LICENSE IN NIGERIA
Below is the list of basic requirements you must present before getting a driving license in Nigeria:
- A Driving School Certificate
- A Learner’s Permit
- A Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) Test Certification
- Birth Certificate
- Eye Test Certificate from FRSC Approved Clinics
- Evidence of Driver’s License Payment ( Bank Teller)
- National Identification Number (NIN)
HOW TO RENEW A DRIVING LICENSE IN NIGERIA| A STEP BY STEP GUIDE
A driving license is not a one-time Registration license as it is renewed at intervals.
This renewal of the driving license does not take the same procedure as getting a new driving license in Nigeria.
Remember that Driving license renewal has a fee attached to it but it’s not as expensive as getting a new one.
The renewal of the driving license in Nigeria can be done online or offline but we shall be discussing on how to renew it offline in this section.
The step by step procedures on how to renew your driving license are as follows:
- Log on to the official Nigeria Driver’s license website at www.nigeriadriverslicence.org , and print out the form after filling the required fields. Also, print out the payment slip alongside the form.
- Proceed to make the payment for the License fee online. You can also opt to make the payment in any of the listed banks on their website
- Proceed to present your driver’s license form to the Board of Internal Revenue Officer or the Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO ) at the DLC for endorsement
- Go to the Federal Road Safety Corps Office for Biometric Data Capturing
- Finally, a temporary driver’s license certificate that is valid for 60 days would be issued to you.
- Before the 60 days of expiration of the certificate , your original certificate would be ready.
THE NIGERIAN DRIVING LICENSE APPLICATION FORM
The Nigerian driving license form can be obtained online on the Nigerian driving license official website at www.nigeriandriverslices.com or offline in the driving license office.
This application form is not hard to fill as it just like every other form we fill from time to time.
It entails filling in your personal details for documentation purposes.
Below is a sample of how the form looks like.
- Title: (Mr/Mrs/Miss)
- First name
- Other name
- Date of birth
- Sex: Male/ Female
- Place of birth (City/ Town)
- Marital status
- State of origin
- Local Government of Origin
- Phone number(s)
- Mother maiden name
- Blood group
- Blood group
- Phone number of next of kin
- Nationality of next of kin
- Years of application: 3 years or 5 years.
As seen from this article, how to apply for a driving license in Nigeria isn’t as stressful and expensive as perceived unless you fall into the hands of the bad eggs of the Driving License Officers.
It’s also pertinent to note that applying for an international driving license online is the same as the discussed how to get the driving license above.
Do well to go to the appropriate quarters so as to speed up your process of getting the Licence and always be vigilant of the unscrupulous individuals who are looking for potential prey to feed on.
Always ensure you do everything yourself, do not involve a third party as that’s the fastest way to get into the wrong hands.
Hopefully, if you religiously follow the above steps on how to apply for a driving license in Nigeria, you would get your original copy of the driving license within the official stipulated time.